Tuesday, December 18, 2018
OTS Las Cruces Biological Station, Costa Rica
This morning I started working on the poster again after having breakfast at 6:30AM.  All I needed to do was add a couple for GIS maps to the poster and I completed this at about 8:30AM..  At that time, Chris Whitehorse, my student team member, came up to me on the computer and said, it's time.  I knew what she meant, she meant it was time for her to do what she needed to get done before we finished up the poster.  She still needed to include the medicinal uses of Cecropia among the Ngobe People, they are the Indigenous People that are here from Panama and we have been working with them all week covering the uses of different plants for different ailments and for ceremonial use.  We also got information regarding how they use Cecropia for curing illnesses and diseases, and this is what Chris was going to include in the poster.
So, to summarize my day, I took a break from the poster and finally walked around the Station and photographs the flowers and other species I found interesting.  I also got my laundry done today and I also took a break at my cabin and rested.  These long days in the past two weeks have be pretty tired, the days last from 12 to 16 hours and I am not use to that.  On the other hand, what I have experienced here is probably a once in a lifetime chance for me to see this beautiful country.  Ever since I was in graduate school I have been wanting to come here, and I was even considering paying for this trip on my own.  I am happy and grateful for this opportunity to come here with students to conduct ecological research on the Station property.
Tomorrow is the big day, we present in the morning starting at 10AM.  We have special guests here with us that arrived today; we have the Primary Investigator and a representative from the National Science Foundation.  The grant funding source is the NSF and the grant PI is the person that is responsible for the grant and got the award.  So, I hope we impress and show the funding source that this program is needed and essential for tribal colleges to assist us in getting opportunities like this to conduct this type of research with students in important ecosystems and research stations like this.  Thank you.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12092018 CRIRE Costa Rica

GPS Point Capture of Adandoned Tropical Grazing Pasture at the Las Cruces Biological Station, Costa Rica